[photo] My three-day bike ride down the C & O Canal was pretty awesome. Saw some beautiful sites, enjoyed the quiet, and met some nice people. More pics next time.
On the road
We're pretty well into Spring here. I spent 3 days last week riding down the C & 0 Canal from near Hagerstown, MD, approximately the midpoint in the trail. Last year I rode from Cumberland down to the midpoint, and last week I finished it up. Spent a very nice night at a hostel in Harper's Ferry, met some good people, and had a great ride on down past Great Falls. It's still hard to believe such wilderness is so close to the metropolis of DC. You're all lucky to have it there!
I hope you all realize by now that if you miss picking up your order you have the option of contacting us here at the farm within 3 days to let us know that you want it back. After that time passes, we need the space in the cooler and your order gets broken down for parts.
- Every-other-week until the beginning of June.
- Every week from June to Thanksgiving.
- Starting in June, we will no longer set up our market stand down in the plaza, but will instead set up a table at the truck where I will sell to passers-by and CSA members wanting to add to their orders.
We continue with the trend of storage crops (think "staples") disappearing at the end of their lifespans, and quickly being replaced by the highly desirable new products, asparagus, ramps, rhubarb, fresh scallions and garlic, and more. Here's what we've go for you this time.
This week's line-up
- Greens: Arugula, rainbow chard, watercress, dandelion, Lacinato kale, micros (microgreens mix, pea & sunflower shoots), spinach (incl. XL bags), stir fry mix. Plus green lettuce, three new ones.
- Veggies: Asparagus, dry beans (4 or 5 types), beets (now including new beets with fresh tops), carrots, celeriac, garlic (bulbs & bunches), horseradish, Jerusalem artichokes, parsnips, fresh red and breakfast radishes, winter radishes (2 kinds), ramps, rhubarb, scallions, sweet potatoes & turnips. Plus greenhouse tomatoes are here!
- Mushrooms: Criminis, shiitake & Blue Oyster
- Herbs: Basil, chives, cilantro, fennel leaf, Greek oregano, Italian parsley, peppermint, sage, French sorrel, thyme & our small herb sampler.
- Poultry: Frozen stewing hens & eggs, and eggs... we have lots of eggs.
- Cheese: 10 cow cheeses; 3 goat cheeses; Trickling Springs butter (cow & goat)
- Preserves: A lot, both sweet & savory.
- Apple cider: Finished for spring. This years' crop will resume around Labor Day.
- Firewood: 40-lb. boxes of logs. One box left for your outdoor fire ring.
Hoping to see you Saturday,
Randy, Chris & Sam
your Star Hollow Farmers